Monday, November 22, 2010

Trader Joe's...Worth the Lines and the Awkward Conversations

Living so close to Union Square has a ton of perks, the greatest of which is living three blocks from Trader Joe's.  The food is cheaper, the people are crazier, and the lines are never ending.

Surprisingly, the store started as a small market in the 1960s.  In 2006 they opened up their first store in Manhattan, one of the first on the east coast, which was shortly followed by the booming metropolis of ... wait for it ... Roswell, GA (where I grew up).  In the last four years, it has gone from about 40 locations to over 300.  My first experience with Trader's was when I was living in D.C. and a love hate relationship was quickly formed.  I love that they don't use trans fat.  I hate that on a busy night they run out of food. I love that they do taste testings. I hate the inexperienced shoppers. If you don't know that you need to arrive with a friend in order to switch off shopping and waiting in line, that's not my fault so please don't run over my toes. 

More than anything though, I love Trader's brand products, LOVE.  Some of my favorites are: Spicy Smokey Peach Salsa, Hummus Trio, Wasabi Wow trail mix, and my dear friend Charles Shaw. There are two stand out items that I've only recently discovered.  The first is the Trader Joe's Gummy Multivitamin.  I've never been big on medicine and was standing in line, which conveniently winds through the aisles throughout the store daring you to throw things like vitamins into your cart, when I did just that (you are so clever TJ). These gummies not only taste amazing but they are good for you.  I suggest everyone go out and get a bottle.  The next item that I recommend isn't quiet as healthy.  My grandma sent me an email last week insisting that I go out and grab a box of the Trader Joe's Dark Chocolate Covered Peppermint Joe Joe's.  Incredible cannot even begin to describe these cookies.  They are DELICIOUS.  If a Thin Mint and an Oreo had babies, you would get this.  I popped them into the freezer, because lets be honest everything is better in the freezer, and have been in sugar heaven the last two nights.  Moral of the story, always trust Grandma.  Hurry out and get a box though because they are only there for a limited time.


Another quirk about Traders are their workers.  Recently, after a typical Sunday night shopping session, Lauren and I were on our way home comparing our cashier experiences.  We are both fully convinced that they have to hit a certain amount of spoken words in their day because awkward forced conversations always ensues.  Usually I try to oblige and chat it up as they bag my goods, but sometimes I just want to walk away with my Gummy Multivitamins and Peppermint Joe Joe's in peace. Side note: You know you go to a grocery store too often when you pass someone on the street and point them out to your friend thinking they were on Project Runway.  Sunday then comes around and whoops there they are bagging your groceries.  I guess that's proof that working at Trader's could get you Z-list celebrity status.

All in all, hat's off to the success of my second favorite grocery store -- nothing can beat Publix subs and sheet cake!  Check out any of their three locations in Manhattan: 14th St., 6th Ave. between 21st & 22nd, and 72nd & Broadway.

No comments:

Post a Comment