Monday, November 22, 2010

Commuter Community

When you take the same route to work for 260 days in a row, you are bound to pass the same people. Every morning I pass by five or six of the same commuters. Over the last year, I've created stories in my head about each one of them.  Let me introduce you to some of them...

The morning always starts out with Holly from the 6th floor who I ride down with in the elevator. She typically stares straight ahead and rarely talks to me, but I guess she is somewhat paying attention as I often wear my "commuter chic" running shoes to work and one day I came home from work to find a note under my door with a request to join her 36 hour relay run team, needless to say I opted out of that one.  Next is the old man on 23rd st walking (or should I say wheeling) his dog without two hind legs.  This image breaks my heart a little when I see the pup, but he is always so smiley and cute that I know he is doing just fine! 

As I continue up, I pass a guy who has gradually put on about 50 lbs since I first spotted him many many months ago.  He's always on his blackberry and in a hurry so I'm convinced that work has been a major factor in the stress weight.  Next, which is my favorite commuter, is Mr. Tall Dark and Handsome.  He's so cute and I've always wanted to say hi to him or drop my purse in front of him only to have him help me pick it up, but of course, I chicken out.  Usually following close behind Mr. Tall Dark and Handsome, is who I refer to in my head as "Tanya" because she is a doppleganger for my old bosses sister.  I crack up every time I see her, because I'm reminded of Tanya, who is hilarious.  Typically around the same time, I pass the homeless man in front of the 38th St. D'Agastino's.  He is always jamming to Billy Joel or Tom Petty, my kind of guy. 

Lastly is my second favorite commuter, a young Asian woman who went from not pregnant to VERY pregnant.  I would have to guess that she is ready to pop, and every morning I can't wait to see if I will pass her because not passing her could mean that she had her baby! I also keep a close eye on her as she is my gauge as to whether or not I'm really early or need to speed up my pace to work.   When I pass her all the way down in the early-30s then I know I need to start booking it. 

I love passing the same people every day, even though we may not know each other.  I can't help but wonder if they notice me as well as they go along with their daily commutes.  What about you, do you have a Commuter Community?

No comments:

Post a Comment