Friday, April 6, 2012

A Moon for the Misbegotten

Last night I went with a friend to see the production of A Moon for the Misbegotten put on by The Pearl Theatre Company.  I'm not what one would consider a "theatre buff" but I do enjoy a good show, especially an off-broadway independent production.  These shows often have a minimal budget and an intimate setting which allows the actors to really shine. Misbegotten did just that.

A revival of the 1943 Eugen O'Neill play, the production has been getting rave reviews around NYC.  It's a story of feisty Irish Josie (Kim Martin-Cotten) and her scheming farmer father, Phil Hogan (Dan Daily), who is trying to trick their drunk landlord James Tyrone Jr. (Andrew May), loosely based on the playwright's brother, into marrying his daughter.  After you finally get accustomed to the strong Irish accents, I found myself laughing throughout the first two acts of the play, and, unfortunately, dozing off in the last three that focused more on the inner demons of Tyrone and Josie.  To the plays credit, however, it did clock in at 2 hours and 50 minutes, and I also fall asleep in everything.

Though I think all three of the main characters did a good job in their performances, Daily's portrayal of Phil was my favorite of the night as it was the most natural.  Martin's acting was way too dramatic for my taste and I didn't see the chemistry between her and May.  All in all, I think it was extremely well done and now I'm itching to see the prequel to the three part story, Long Day's Journey Into Night, subject to a dose of caffeine beforehand.

No comments:

Post a Comment