Friday, July 27, 2012

Book Ends

It's been a while since I did any book reviews and I've managed to knock a bunch out this summer.  As you can see by their classifications below, it's pretty heavy in the chick lit department.  What can I say...feeling very emotional this summer :)  If you just want to skip to my recommendation list in order of preference, go to the bottom.  Happy reading!

A TALE AS OLD AS TIME
The World to Come was one of the most interestingly written books I've read in a while.  I felt like I was in the midst of a story telling session youngsters often get from their elders, which makes sense since it was based on an old Yiddish tale.  The intertwined story spans every part of time, from a 1920s Jewish orphanage to a present day art heist.  It teaches readers that every action, big or small, has a consequence.  The book took me a while to get through, but once I was done I was glad I read it. 

WHO DONE IT?
For book club this month, after seeing numerous rave reviews from various publications, we settled on Gone Girl.  This book was the definition of a page turner, I couldn't put it down.  Not following a typical mystery structure {crime > investigation > caught > done}, it unveiled the culprit mid-novel and the ending was completely not what I expected, a difference that was refreshing.  I can't say a lot without giving away the story, but, I can say, you must read this.  Next up, Stay Close. I grew up reading my dad's James Patterson collection and I could tell right away by the cover that this would be in the same realm.  It has all the ingredients for a suspenseful read: Atlantic City setting, an ex-stripper masked as suburban mom, a Mardi Gras killer, all the good stuff.  Not nearly as exciting or satisfying as Gone Girl, but if you are in the mood to strap on your Olivia Benson hat and easily solve a crime, this is a good option.


PASS THE TISSUES
I honestly cried reading each one of the next set of books.  All of them touched me in their own way, dealing with the subjects of death, young children with terminal illness, adoption and loss of family.  A great showing by all these tearjerkers.

The Red Book was a essentially a grown up version of "Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants", minus the Levis and Blake Lively {thank goodness}.  The four main characters of the story return to Harvard twenty years after they've left, reflecting on where they've all come since their college days. Each returning graduate submits their "life update" in the school's red book, and the central theme is that things aren't always what they seem.  The ending left me in hysterics and puts everything in perspective for the reader.  Overall, it was a good, easy read and although it was depressing at some points, the characters were much more developed and interesting than a typical chick book.

Okay, so maybe this one is more YA lit rather than adult, don't judge. The Fault in Our Stars was a touching story of two teens, Hazel and Augustus, who met at a kid's cancer support group.  It's a story of survival, emotional strength and relationships.  I wouldn't recommend it if you aren't mentally prepared for a heavy book, but the lessons it teaches leave you with an all new appreciation for life and loved ones.

The next book was more heart wrenching than it was sad or depressing.  I Couldn't Love You More is set in suburbs of Atlanta {plus one for that}.  It is centered around Eliot, who lives with her partner, Grant, his two children from his previous marriage whom she helped raise, and their own daughter.  Ironically, her first love appears back in her life, which is followed by an unfortunate turn of events.  What happens after is left for you to find out, but it left me with heart pangs.  This is a must read.
Maybe it's because the Olympics are starting, or maybe I just love the author, but Gold was phenomenal.  It's about three cyclists in England, Kate and Jack who are married and struggling with the overpowering desire to get the Olympics and the survival of their daughter who has leukemia, and Zoe who struggles with her inner demons and lack of family.  The book is filled with all sorts of complex elements and character lines that left me in a jumble of emotions.

Last up was Emily Giffin's new book Where We Belong. I've been looking forward to this book since her last one came out two years ago as her stories are always engaging and relate-able.  This one didn't disappoint in either department, sucking you in from the very beginning. Like all her books, it's told in two character's point of views: Marian, a successful television producer living in New York City, and Kirby, her daughter she gave up eighteen years ago.  I appreciated this one more than some of her other books because she steered away from her typical love triangle and let me torn about what I would do in the character's situation. 


AWKWARD CHUCKLING ON THE PLANE ENSUES
As one of the primary writers for The Office, it was no surprise that Mindy Kaling's {a.k.a. Kelly Kapoor} book Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me was just as funny as a Thursday night with Dwight and Jim.  Everything in this book was so spot on.  It reminded me of an episode of Curb Your Enthusiasm, calling out the random, hilarious things that happen in real life.  Best chapter: My Favorite Eleven Moments in Comedy, the image of Liz Lemon crying out of her mouth gets me every time.



CURRENTLY READING: Heartburn by Nora Ephron

Recommendations in order:
1. Gold by Chris Cleave
2. Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me by Mindy Kaling
3. Gone Girl by Jillian Flynn
4. I Couldn't Love You More by Jillian Medoff
5. Where We Belong by Emily Giffin
6. The Red Book by Deborah Copaken Kogan
7. The World to Come by Dara Horn
8. Stay Close by Harlan Coben
9. The Fault in Our Stars by John Green

No comments:

Post a Comment