Monday, January 24, 2011

Book Review

One of the perks of being in jury duty is that in our down time I get to read a lot.  One of my fellow jurors recommended that I check out Suzanne Collins' trilogy: The Hunger Games, Catching Fire, and Mockingjay.  I'm the type of person that when I get into a book, I literally cannot put it down.  I will for-go going out, sleep, pretty much anything until I finish it.  This was one of those times.  I started the first book on Thursday night and was done with the third one by Tuesday morning.  I was even "forced" to download the Kindle IPhone app so that I could read it on the elliptical, which I subsequently fell off of because I was so enthralled in reading rather than my foot placement.

If you are a fan of either the Twilight or Harry Potter books, I think this series would be perfect for you.  The trilogy is not about vampires or magic, but they are equally addictive and easy reads.  Let's be honest we all need to stop and enjoy some mindless entertainment once in awhile.  I've already recommended it to some of my coworkers, one of whom told me she had trouble concentrating on playing with her one year old and put her to bed early because all she could think about was whether or not Katniss and Peetra ended up together.  Collins did a wonderful job of developing the characters and kept the reader constantly engaged in their well-being and survival.  I would absolutely recommend this to any of you.  Next up is The Confession by John Grisham, so far so good.  If the first couple of chapters are any indication, I'll be back with a review shortly!

No comments:

Post a Comment