Thursday, March 22, 2012

Media Mayhem

It's no secret that we are living in a day and age that's highly driven based on social media's influence.  We use vehicles such as Facebook, YouTube, Twitter, Instagram, LinkedIn, Tumblr, Pinterest, blogging, discussion forums, the list goes on, to connect, spread information, ideas, opinions, etc.  

Recently I watched two videos that really resonated with me on just how much of an impact these social forums have. 

The first one if for KONY 2012, which I'm sure most people have seen or at least heard of if you don't live under a rock.  The video was first posted on March 5th.  When I first saw it the next day, it already had 10 million hits and by 4pm that afternoon it had 32 million.  Today, 17 days after being posted, it has almost 85 million hits and thousands and thousands of people ready to take action on April 20th.  I'm sure it's creator, Jason Russel, wasn't ready for the massive amount of buzz the video generated, but it certainly seems like it did the job it sought out to do: bring attention to an issue.  Joseph Kony may not have been a household name a few weeks ago, but say the name now, and odds are people will know who you are talking about.   
     
The second video is a trailer for a documentary by Jennifer Siebel Newsom that takes a look at media's representation of women and how it effects a woman's ability to achieve leadership positions.  I think it's an intriguing subject matter, and just the brief snippets left me wanting to see more. 


Now, I'm not going to go boycotting my favorite reality television shows (every Real Housewives franchise will forever be on my DVR) but it certainly gives the audience something to ponder...

No comments:

Post a Comment