Friday, March 30, 2012

And These Are a Few of My Favorite Things

Happy Friday!  In honor of this beautiful day here in NYC and being that the weekend is upon us, I thought I'd share my top ten things that make me smile and lift my spirits. Not in any particular order...

1. Soul Cycle.  I know people say that it's a cult and if so, hand me the cool aid.  The reason why I love working out so much is because its an opportunity to take time for yourself, listen to music, and let everything go.  Soul Cycle takes all of these to the extreme.  There's nothing like it.  For 45 minutes you put the pedal to the medal and rock out.  Soul Obsessed is right.

2. Coffee Bean Chai Tea Latte. Over the last year I've gotten really into chai tea.  Most recently I tried it from Coffee Bean's new location on the UWS and it definitely makes me smile.  Whether in winter or summer, hand me a steaming cup of this sweet treat. 

3. Breaking Bad (and by extension Aaron Paul). Thank goodness for Shay for introducing me to this show.  There is no better show on the planet.  Aaron Paul is pretty nice to look at as well.

4. Running on the West Side highway. I usually only get to the make the trek once every other week or so but when I do, its worth every step.  The views by the water and landscapes along the path are beautiful, and nothing makes me love NYC more than when I get a glimpse of the Statue of Liberty from Battery Park.

5. Reading in Union Square.  It's no secret that I love me a good book and become easily engrossed.  Union Square during the spring/summer has a wonderful ambiance, and, more importantly, phenomenal people watching.  The West side highway is also a good second option.

6. Live Music.  Whether it's jumping around to the tunes of Avicii on NYE or having a glass of wine while listening to the lesser known talents of Mikey Wax with Jess,  no matter the show, I'm ready and willing to hit up a concert with friends.  It's likely that I will be obsessing for weeks. Or at least until the next concert.

7. St. Simons and Spanish Moss.  Pretty much just being in St. Simons, Georgia, where my parents have a house, means that I'm already in my happy place. Driving down Fredrica Rd. and being surrounded by all the gorgeous spanish moss really brings it home.

8. Magnolia Bakery Banana Pudding. This. is. the. best. dessert. ever.  Since there is a location in Grand Central across from my office, we have it at nearly every work function.  It also comes in a dangerous individual size.  A perfect combination of my favorites, bananas and vanilla wafers.

 9. Grey Dog CafeIn a city with so many restaurants, I don't often like going to the same place.  Grey Dog's is probably one of my very few exceptions. With four locations around NYC, you can often find a line out the door on Saturdays and Sundays.  Trust me, it's worth the wait.  The menu is vast, the coffee is delicious and the atmosphere yields an uncanny relaxation and homey feel that can't often be found in such a busy city.

10. Lululemon.  It may sound weird that a clothing company could be one of my favorite things but their innovative ideas have no bounds.  Their clothes are all expertly designed, flattering,  and comfortable.  Their stores offer free yoga classes and massages.  Their blog offers limitless advice on running, meditation, and self help.  I love Lululemon's emphasis on the importance of positive thinking by exercise.

It's quite often that on a Saturday afternoon you can find me leaving the Lululemon store after my Soul Cycle class, having worked off last night's Magnolia banana pudding, walking to Grey Dog's with chai tea in hand. Hope your weekend is filled with all of your favorite things!

No comments:

Post a Comment