Friday, December 17, 2010

Jay-Walk It Out


New Yorkers are notorious for their road rage and jaywalking.  I'm definitely an offenser of the latter. On Wednesday, I saw the worlds collide, almost literally. 

I was walking home from work, listening to my headphones, minding my business on 23rd and Lexington when I see two bodies flash in front of me.  Body One - a 19 year old, also listening to his headphones and presumably minding his business, running south across the street as the light going west turned green.  Body Two- New York driver enraged by Body One's decision to jaywalk in front of his car, who then decided to park his car in the middle of one of the busiest intersections of Manhattan.  The flash comes when Body Two jumps from said parked car, tackles Body One into a newspaper stand, knocking it over, and strangles the kid as people are yelling from all angles. He held him down for a good two minutes before receeding back to his car and the kid running away.  It was an incredibly bizarre scene.  

Then today, walking the reverse route into work but sans headphones, a homeless man walks across the street chanting "Jaywalking...Breaking the Law...Jaywalking...Breaking the Law", and when he survived to see the otherside without getting body checked, he shouted "Jaywalkers Unite!!"  He should probably recruit Body One...  

No comments:

Post a Comment